Saturday, January 21, 2012

GREEN TOMATO SALSA VERDE

Posted by Cam
A few summers ago we had a bad growing season that left us with an abundance of green tomatoes.  Not wanting them to go to waste I decided to can them and come up with a recipe later.  That winter I wanted something different to serve company for dinner; I looked through the pantry, saw the canned green tomatoes and my Salsa Verde recipe was born.  This is a versatile salsa that can be served alone with chips or as a condiment.  My favorite way to use this is to make a Verde Cream sauce for my enchiladas. 




INGREDIENTS: 

30-32 cups crushed green tomatoes
3 lg red onions
2 lg yellow sweet onions (Walla Walla sweets are the best when in season)
13 green jalapeno peppers
12 cloves of garlic
3 bunches cilantro
2 red bell peppers
2 limes
2 cups vinegar
2/3 cup kosher salt
1 1/2 tbls coarse ground black pepper

Quarter whole green tomatoes and crush in food processor or food mill (you will need 30-32 cups).  Process onions, peppers, garlic and cilantro in food processor and place in large stock pot with crushed tomatoes.  Add all other ingredients.  On medium heat bring to a slow boil.  Simmer for 30-45 minutes or longer to reduce the liquid and thicken salsa.  Pour into prepared sterilized quart jars.  Process in water bath for 25 minutes.  Makes 13 quarts.

OPTION:  For less heat reduce amount of jalapenos. 



1 comment:

  1. I love this sauce. I'm happy you have finally documented your recipe!

    ReplyDelete