Sunday, February 12, 2012

Hummus

Post by Tisha

For the first 6 years of my relationship with my now husband, he did 99% of the cooking.  Roughly 5 years ago I started to slowly make my way into the kitchen.  One of my first creations was hummus.  Hummus is simple, easy, and delicious.  Now this classic recipe is being paired with homemade pita chips.  (Why did it take me 5 years to make my own pita chips?  I have no idea.)

Lemon Basil Hummus
Yields approx. 1 cup
Ingredients:
1 15oz. can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cloves of garlic (minced & mashed)
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon (or less if you want less lemon flavor yielding "Basil Hummus")
Handful of freshly chopped basil
Dash of parsley (optional)
1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
*Mix together in a food processor, blender, or bullet

Note: I was inspire to make this dish for a MOMSClub's Iron Chief Event where the theme was "dips."  Hayden was about 11 months old, and I kid you not, he gobbled up the Lemon Basil Hummus like it was ice cream!

Regular Hummus
Yields approx. 1 cup
Ingredients:
1 15oz. can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cloves of garlic (minced & mashed)
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/4-1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
*Mix together in a food processor, blender, or bullet

1 comment:

  1. My kids LOVE hummus too! We've made it from fresh fava beans too when we got a bunch in our CSA share! Yum!

    ReplyDelete